- On the web, if you’re within three months of age 62 or older, or
- By calling our national service that is toll-free 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visiting your neighborhood Social protection workplace. A consultation is not needed, but it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply if you call ahead and schedule one.
You’ll assist when you are prepared to:
- Offer any required papers; and
- Answer the relevant questions down the page.
Papers you may have to offer
We may request you to offer papers to exhibit that you will be qualified, such as for example:
- Birth certification or any other www.mailorderbrides.us/asian-bride evidence of delivery;
- Proof U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you had been maybe perhaps perhaps not created in the usa More Info;
- U.S. discharge that is militarys) in the event that you had army service before 1968;
- W-2 kinds(s) and/or tax that is self-employment for this past year.
- Last breakup decree, if using being a divorced spouse; and
- Marriage certificate.
We accept photocopies of W-2 types, self-employment taxation statements or medical papers, but we ought to begin to see the initial of many other papers, such as for example your delivery certificate. (We’re going to get back them for you.)
Usually do not delay obtaining advantages since you don’t have all of the papers. We will help you to get them.
Everything we shall ask you to answer
- Your title, sex and Social Security number;
- Your title at delivery (if various);
- Your date of birth and put of delivery (State or international nation);
- Whether a public or religious record had been manufactured from your delivery before age 5;
- Your citizenship status;
- Whether you or other people has ever filed for Social safety advantages, Medicare or Supplemental Security Income in your stead (in that case, we are going to additionally require info on whose Social safety record you used);
- Whether you’ve got utilized some other Social Security quantity;
- Whether you became struggling to work due to health problems, accidents or conditions at any time in the previous 14 months. If “Yes,” we shall additionally ask the date you became struggling to work;
- Whether you had been ever into the active armed forces solution before 1968 and, if that’s the case, the times of solution and whether you’ve got ever been eligible to be given a month-to-month reap the benefits of a military or Federal civilian agency;
- Whether you or your partner have actually ever struggled to obtain the railroad industry;
- Whether you’ve got received Social safety credits under a different country’s social security measures;
- Whether you qualified for or expect you’ll be given a retirement or annuity predicated on your very own work because of the authorities for the usa or one of its States or regional subdivisions;
- Whether you might be presently hitched and, if that’s the case, your partner’s title, date of delivery (or age) and Social protection quantity (if understood).
- The names, times of delivery (or age) and Social protection figures (if understood) of every previous partners;
- The times and places of each and every of your marriages and, for marriages that have ended, exactly how so when they finished;
- The names of any unmarried kids under age 18, age 18-19 plus in primary or school that is secondary or disabled before age 22;
- The name(s) of one’s employer(s) and/or information regarding your self-employment while the number of your wages because of this 12 months, a year ago and year that is next
- Whether we might contact your companies for wage information;
- The you want your benefits to begin; and month
- If you’re within a few months of age 65, whether you intend to sign up for health care insurance (component B of Medicare).
According to the information you offer, we possibly may want to ask other concerns.
It’s also wise to get checkbook or other papers that demonstrate your bank account quantity at a bank, credit union or other institution that is financial you are able to subscribe to Direct Deposit, and get away from worries about missing or taken checks and mail delays.